I haven’t really used this blog as a place to talk about what I’m currently working on, but I thought it was a good time to take a tally of all of my current works in progress. I discovered that I actually only have four current WIPs! Which is obviously an excuse to cast on more things.
The WIP that’s been on the needles the longest (and, interestingly, the WIP that I’ve made the least progress on….) is my Gabrielle Tunic by Julie Weisenberger of cocoknits. I tried this tunic on last year at the cocoknits booth at Stitches West, and I loved it. The pattern is not in the cocoknits Sweater Workshop book, but it does use the cocoknits method that’s described in the book. I bought the book, I bought the pattern from the online cocoknits store, and I bought 8 skeins of Shibui Twig in the Field colorway. The yarn is held double, so it was quite an investment. I haven’t worked a lot with linen yarn before, but I haven’t really found it to be so different from other yarns. I thought it might be sticky like cotton yarns, but at least this variety is not.
There are several reasons that I haven’t made much progress on this top. Firstly, the cocoknits method is not the most intuitive, and I don’t think that this was the best first garment to make with the method. Working on this project involves carrying around the pattern, the book, and the special colored cocoknits markers (which I actually love and plan to buy more of), and it’s definitely the opposite of mindless knitting. Secondly, the yarn keeps getting all tangled up because it doesn’t like to stay balled up, and I have 2 balls at once since I’m holding it double. And, thirdly, although I got gauge, my arm holes are quite a bit too short, so I need to do some modifications to make it fit better – I’m thinking I’ll lengthen the front after joining the two front pieces but before joining with the back in the round. All in all, though, these things make the project not that fun to work on… but I would really like to have this tunic, so I’ll probably stick with it.
I cast on my second WIP – my Oblagon wrap – about a week after I cast on Gabrielle, but I’ve made quite a bit more progress on this project. I’m using a gigantic skein (2500 yd!!) of hand-dyed, laceweight yarn by Briar Rose Fibers. It was a gift from my mom, and the color is sooooo beautiful.
The wrap is mostly stockinette and reverse stockinette stitch, but it has a few lace panels and drop stitch details. It’s pretty mindless to work on, but progress is very slow. I don’t think I’ll be finishing anytime soon, but it’s a good project to have for when I don’t feel like working on my other projects.
My third WIP is almost not a WIP anymore. I played yarn chicken on my Elibelinde sweater (from Issue 22 of Pom Pom Magazine), and I lost. You can see from the picture below that I only have the top bit of one sleeve left, but I have to wait for more yarn.
The yarn I’m using is 100% alpaca from Fanfare Farms in Vacaville, CA. I bought it at the Lambtown Wool Festival. I was fortunately able to call up the farm owner, so another skein of yarn is (hopefully!) in the mail on it’s way to me. I’m so excited for this sweater to be done because it’s so soft and cozy and beautiful.
And my final WIP is a very recent cast on for the Box O Sox KAL that I want to participate in for 2018. It’s the Festoon sock pattern by Rachel Coopey from Pom Pom Magazine Issue 21. I’m almost to the toe of the first sock! These are my third pair of socks, my first pair of top down socks, and my first pair of socks with a heel flap and gusset.
I love the cable pattern on these socks. It uses a twisted knit stitch that stands out super clearly. The yarn I’m using is Stranded Dyeworks Cavern sock in the colorway Ocean Rainbow. Fingers crossed that I don’t get second sock syndrome and am able to finish up before the end of January!